Appliances that can flood your North Dallas home
Floods can happen in the blink of an eye. One moment everything is okay, and the next, water is everywhere. The experts at SERVPRO of Metrocrest have identified five ticking time bombs that can wreak havoc in your home in a matter of minutes.
Below are five ticking time bombs and consider what you can do to disarm their damage:
HOT WATER HEATER
- About 75 percent of tank water heaters fail by the time they’re 12 years old
- 70 percent of water heater failures are from leaks or burst tanks
- Average damage is $4,000
What to do: Check the tank regularly for leaks. Have your tank maintained yearly. It is recommended to replace your water heater every 10 years.
- More than half of all water damage are due to broken washing machine hoses.
- Damages average more than $6,000.
What to do: Inspect hoses once a month. Look for signs of impending leaks, such as blisters, bulges, cracks, discoloration or kinks. Turn off the water supply to the washing machine when you go on vacation.
- Dishwashers usually fail when they are 10-12 years old
- Flooding damage from a dishwater leak can be more than $5000
What to do: Tighten the drain line where it connects to under-sink plumbing. Replace the water supply line immediately if you run across a small leak. Don’t run the dishwasher while away from home.
- Icemakers are the primary cause for water leaks in a refrigerator
- The life expectancy of an ice maker is less than that of the refrigerator, as low as five years.
What to do: Replace copper water lines with braided steel alternatives. Check the water supply line behind the fridge yearly.
- Attic air conditioners can cause the most damage because water can leak throughout the entire home.
- Average loss from flooding caused by a leaky air conditioner is $5000
What to do: Install a secondary drain line and drain pan overflow switch. Have your A/C maintained regularly, which includes changing the filter and checking the refrigerant level.
You can rely on SERVPRO of Metrocrest for whenever you have water damage in your home from these leaky time bombs. The quick response and efficient, professional services will return your home to normal in no time. Please contact us without delay if you’re experiencing a water emergency.
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest for all your water damage restoration needs (972) 233-8400.
Follow us on Twitter @SERVPRO9498
And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SERVPROofmetrocrest/
Highly Trained Restoration Specialists
Our SERVPRO Professionals are highly trained in property restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, our Professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. The SERVPRO training program includes the follow:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes